Coastal Tour in Siquijor

We hired the tricycle driver who dropped us in La Villa Alta. We chose the Coastal Tour over the Mountain Tour. We started at 8 am.

Siquijor, Siquijor

We went to the municipality of Siquijor in the famous restaurant called Joel’s Lechon Manok for our brunch. We also check the nearby Bell Tower which was being renovated. We bought foods and drinks in the Public Market.

Paliton Beach

Paliton Beach is located in San Juan. It has become famous and is also called  Little Boracay. The beach is lined up with coconut trees. The beach is also overlooking Apo Island in a distance.
San Juan is a municipality with the most visitors because of the number of resorts, guesthouses and restaurants. It is also a place to hang out for nightlife for bars.

Century-Old Tree

The third place to visit for our coastal tour is the Century-Old Tree in Lazi. It is a 400-year-old Balete tree. A small spring is at the base where you can also enjoy a foot spa with small fishes.
Beside the tree are souvenir shops and a restaurant. The souvenir shops are famous for Love potions, amulets and some handcrafted voodoo dolls.

Lazi Church and Convent

The San Isidro Labrador Church also known as Lazi Church is a Roman Catholic church. It was declared as a National Treasure by the National Museum of the Philippines. The Baroque church is a neoclassical style built from sea stones and wood.

Across the street is the San Isidro Labrador Convent which was turned into a museum.

Cambugahay Falls

From the Church, going up to a steep road will lead to the entrance going to Cambugahay Falls. It is one of the famous falls in Siquijor with three-level waterfalls. It is also a popular spot on the island for rope jumping.
We had our lunch after along the Circumferential Road of Siquijor in the municipality of Maria called La Guerta Kuzina which offers Filipino dishes.

Salagdoong Beach and Cliff Jump

In the municipality of Maria, a secluded beach called Salagdoong Beach Resort is located. Upon entering the beach, you will enjoy the trees in the Salagdoong Forest. It is a public beach The resort has two platforms for cliff jumping. It has two coves great for swimming and snorkeling.

We also bought the famous Torta, a local bread in Siquijor in Lilibeth Pan de Bisaya before going to our last stop for the tour.

Tulapos Marine Sanctuary

It is the oldest marine sanctuary in Siquijor. The sanctuary is the best place for finding abundant marine life including barracudas, blacktip reef sharks, sea turtles, jackfishes and so many more.

Bais City Dolphin Watching

Bais city a second-class city and a small agricultural town in Negros Oriental. The city is also known for sugar mills with the popular landmark of the Central Azucarera de Bais, a Spanish structure in the city and the largest producer of raw sugar in Negros Oriental. It is known as the pioneer in the sugar industry in the Philippines.
There are so many old Spanish houses in Bais city, where the Spanish influence and culture is very evident. One famous old house is the Casa Grande, an old residential compound built for the employees of the Azucarera.

La Planta Hotel

It is originally an electric supply building after it was turned into a restaurant. In 1990, the building was extended and became La Planta Hotel. Another hotel in Bais is the Casa Sandoval Pension House and Restaurant. We stayed here for a night and enjoyed the night swimming.

Dolphin and Whale Watching

The city of Bais has become popular for dolphin and whale watching in Tañon Strait. The Tañon Strait is between Negros and Cebu in which its seas are a haven for the two friendly creatures. Canibol Wharf is a jump-off to the tourist attraction.
During my visit, we saw the dolphins, which is actually near the island of Cebu.

Canibol Wharf is also a gateway to the popular Manjuyod Sandbar. You can see the cottages from afar.

Dumaguete City

The City of Dumaguete is a major transport hub in the Negros Island going to different provinces in Visayas and Mindanao. It is located on the southeastern tip of the island with Siquijor and Cebu as its neighboring islands. It is also a gateway to the famous Apo Island and going to different destinations anywhere on the large island of Negros. Dumaguete is also known as the “the City of the gentle people” with laid back city life.

Silliman University

One notable destination is the oldest university which is the Siliman University. It occupies almost one-third of Dumaguete City and is also one of the beautiful universities in Asia. It is a university town with luscious acacia lined trees and open field surrounding the school. Silliman is also a home of the Siliman Anthropology Museum, Silliman Hall, Silliman University Church, The Gate of Knowledge, Gate of Opportunity and Silliman University Bell.
A campus tour is also available inside the school for tourists to enjoy the 62-hectare of the historical university. The guided tour is administered by the university’s student ambassador.

Dumaguete Cathedral / St. Catherine of Alexandria Cathedral

The Dumaguete Cathedral is located at Perdices Street. It is a catholic church with stained-glass windows. Beside the church is the ornate, stone Belfry Tower also known as Campanario de Dumaguete.

Daraga City in Albay

Daraga is a city in Albay at the foot of the magnificent Mayon Volcano. The famous landmarks in Daraga are Cagsawa Ruins and the Daraga Church.

Cagsawa Ruins

The Cagsawa Ruins is a historical landmark at the heart of Cagsawa Ruins Park. It is the best location for tourists to enjoy the scenic view of Mayon Volcano. The park is protected and maintained by the municipality of Daraga and the National Museum of the Philippines.

The ruins were from the old baroque church before it was burned down by the Dutch pirates in 1600. It was rebuilt by the Franciscan friars in the 1700s. On February 1, 1814, the Mayon Volcano erupted and buried the town of Cagsawa. Only the belfry and some parts of the convent was left.

Cagsagwa Ruins park houses the Cagsawa National Museum and the third-largest regional branch. The museum has photo collections of the volcanic eruption of Mount Mayon. There is a gallery for a geological collection like rocks, minerals, fossilized plants and shells and porcelain and earthenware found in the Bicol region.

Galeria de Cagsawa, Patio Cagsawa and other ATV Adventure companies are all located in the park.

Our Lady of the Gate Parish

Another place to visit in Daraga is the Our Lady of the Gate Parish Church. It is at the top of Santa Maria Hill. The church architecture is baroque.

Naga City in Camarines Sur

Naga is in the center of the Bicol Region and located in Camarines Sur. The City of Naga is also known as the Pilgrim City. It is the largest destination of the Marian pilgrimage in Asia because of the devotees of the Our Lady of Peñafrancia.
The city is also the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Caceres. The dominant Catholic religion is supported by different historical and influential institutions. There are so many churches run by different religious institutes like Our Lady of Peñafrancia, Peñafrancia Basilica De Minore, Ateneo de Naga University, University de Santa Isabel, University of Nueva Caceres, Naga Metropolitan Cathedral and San Francisco Church.

Porta Mariae

The Porta Mariae or Marian Gate is located at Barlin Street with a neoclassical architectural style. It stands as a symbol of the Bicolano’s devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary under the title of Nuestra Señora de Peñafrancia. It adds beauty to the historical church of Naga Metropolitan Cathedral.

Naga Metropolitan Cathedral

It is the oldest standing cathedral in Luzon which was established in 1595. It is also known as the Metropolitan Cathedral of Saint John the Evangelist. The architecture of the building is Baroque-Romanesque and stands near the different universities in Naga.

Our Lady of Peñafrancia Shrine

Our Lady of Peñafrancia Shrine is a baroque church under the jurisdiction of the Archdiocese of Caceres. It was the home of the image of Our Lady of Peñafrancia before it was transferred to Peñafrancia Basilica. It is where the Translacion procession of the Our Lady of Peñafrancia starts which is the signal of the Peñafrancia Festival.

Peñafrancia Basilica De Minore

The Peñafrancia Minor Basilica is the only Basilica in the Bicol Region which was constructed in 1976. It was opened in 1982 in honor of The Church of Nuestra Señora de Peñafrancia. The image of the Virgin Mary sculpted in 1710 is located here.

San Francisco Parish

San Francisco Church was established in 1578 and built by Franciscan Friars. It is located along the busy street of Peñafrancia Street surrounded by malls, restaurants, hotels, and banks. It also near the El Pueblo de Camarines Sur a Sus Quince Martires del 96, a historical landmark for the Katipuneros.

Naga City also has the Naga Airport and as the heart of Camarines Sur, it also the jump-off point of going to the famous Caramoan and other municipalities surrounding Mount Isarog.

IRRI Rice World Museum

The IRRI Rice world Museum and Learning Center is located inside the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI). Riceworld showcase the historical, cultural and technological information of rice.

The exhibits highlight the old technology used in farming rice, the science behind the production of rice and the cultural aspect of rice as a crop for the rice farmers in the Philippines.

The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) also houses the International Rice Genebank and also the home of different agricultural research and science laboratories dedicated to rice and agriculture. IRRI is located in the UPLB Campus in Los Baños, Laguna. It also gives a great view of the ricefields and different mountains in Laguna.

After the tour of the museum, you can also enjoy sumptuous food inside the IRRI Main Cafeteria or enjoy snacks and coffee in IRRI Coffe Shop – BeanHub.

Popular Destination in Tagaytay

Tagaytay is the summer capital of Southern Luzon because of the cooler climate provided by its altitude. It is the most popular holiday and weekend destination, with its close proximity to Manila and with a breathtaking view of Taal Volcano and Taal lake.

It is officially known as the City of Tagaytay in the province of Cavite. It is closest to the boundaries of Sta. Rosa, and parts of Canlubang in Calamba in Laguna and Talisay, Batangas.

Tagaytay’s Picnic Grove

This is the first place I’d been to in Tagaytay during my college days. We rented a van and went to Tagaytay with my first-year barkada in UST.
It is a picnic area in a scenic hilltop view of Taal Volcano. It has numerous picnic huts and tables. You can also enjoy horseback riding, zipline and cable car rides. It also has an eco-trail with a hanging bridge. It is located along Tagaytay – Calamba Road.

People’s Park in the Sky

It was originally named Palace in the Sky and a mountain top mansion during the Marcos era. It was left unfinished and it was turned into a park and became the most-visited destination in Tagaytay.
The Shrine of Our Lady. Mother of Fair Love is located in People’s Park. There’s also the Doppler weather station within the park. It is located in Mount Sungay in Tagaytay which is also near Silang, Cavite and Cabuyao Laguna.

Sky Ranch Tagaytay

Sky Ranch is an amusement park in the middle of Tagaytay City. It has different rides and attractions. The different rides are carousel, sky cruiser, trains, bumper cars, boats and race, city rail, coaster, mini Viking and the famous Sky eye.

Pink Sisters Convent

Adoration Convent of Divine Mercy or famously known as the Pink Sisters Convent is one of the places I often go to in Tagaytay. It is a Catholic church and a very solemn place in the hustle and bustle of Tagaytay City. It is along Emilio Aguinaldo Highway going to the narrow street of Arnoldus Road. Besides the convent is the Angels Hills Retreat and Formation Center.

Ina nang Laging Saklolo Parish

Another beautiful church in Tagaytay is the Ina nang Laging Saklolo Parish and is located along Tagaytay – Calamba Road.

Famous Landmarks in Tayabas Quezon

Tayabas is officially called the City of Tayabas and it is nestled in some parts of Mount Banahaw. It used to be the capital of the Province of Tayabas (now Aurora and Quezon) and surrounded by the neighboring city and different towns of Quezon – Lucena, Sariaya, Lucban, Pagbilao and Mauban.
The city is known for its heritage houses and historical landmarks.

The famous attraction is the Minor Basilica of St. Michael the Archangel is the largest Catholic Church in the province of Quezon. The church is shaped like the key and the locals refer to it as Susi ng Tayabas.

Near the church is The Casa Comunidad, a centuries-old building. It is a national landmark that has a museum and the municipal library.
Since my ancestors came from Lucban, Quezon and we go there every summer, there is a famous resort along the Tayabas – Lucban road that we often visit. It is called Nawawalang Paraiso. It was the first resort near Lucban and we witnessed how the simple resort turned into the latest Nawawalang Paraiso Resort and Hotel.

One of the famous restaurants is the Original Palaisdaan just a few kilometers away from the resort. And between the resort is another restaurant called the Air Summit Gourmet.

Heritage Houses in Sariaya, Quezon

Sariaya is a town before the capital city of Quezon which is Lucena City. The Sariaya town is considered as the Heritage Town of Quezon and the Art Deco Capital of Southern Luzon. It is famous for its different ancestral houses. The three famous ones are declared Heritage Houses by the National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP). The following Heritage houses are The Enrirquez – Gala Mansion, Gala – Rodriguez House along Rizal Street and Don Catalino and Luisa Rodriguez house which is also known as Villa Sariaya.
The Saint Francis of Assisi Parish Church is a stone church built along the National Highway.

The town is also famous for its beach resorts in the coastal area of Tayabas Bay. It is separated by the river called Malaking Tubig River with the town of San Juan Batangas. When I was younger, I went to Paraiso Beach Resort in Barangay Guisguis Talon.
Sariaya is also along the boundaries of Mount Banahaw where you can also enjoy trekking activities leading to the peak of the mountain.

Taal Heritage Site

Taal is a town in Batangas which is famous for its heritage houses. The ancestral houses are found along the streets near the famous Taal Church. Old houses are still visible in Taal’s Poblacion.
The heritage houses are found in Calle Del Castillo, Calle Gliceria Marella, Calle Jose Diokno, Calle Marcela Marino Agoncillo, Calle Ramon Diokno, Calle Antonio De Las Alas, Calle Conrando Sanchez.
The Augustinian friars founded the town of Taal. At the heart of the town is the Taal Basilica or known as the Minor Basilica of St. Martin de Tours within the archdiocese of Lipa. St. Martin de Tours is the patron saint and the fiesta is celebrated every November 11 and was founded in 1575.
The town of Taal was destroyed in the Taal Volcano’s eruption in 1754. And the church was rebuilt a year after but was again damaged in 1852 due to earthquakes. It was declared a Minor Basilica in 1954 and a National Shrine in 1974.

In front of the basilica is a park which includes Jesus’ shrine, and on the right side of the church is the Escuela Pia or Taal Cultural Center, which is considered to be one of the oldest educational institutions in the country. It was initiated by Taal Arts and Culture Movement Inc.

During our visit, we went to one of the famous restaurant called Don Juan BBQ . Taal is also famous for its balisong, barong and tapa. Other places to visit are the different museums: Galleria Taal, Museo nina Marcela Marino at Felipe Agoncillo and The White House: Gregorio Agoncillo Mansion.